Ciara's Reviews > To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us

To-Do List by Sasha Cagen

Nov 19, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Recommended for: to-do list obsessives, people who like lists
Read in May, 2008, read count: once

this is another one where i wanted the book to be better than it was. full disclosure: i am OBSESSED with to-do lists. like, to the point that it's kind of pathological. i myself keep a book dedicated to my to-do lists. i have done this for years, i take my to-do lists everywhere with me, if separated from my to-do lists, i have been known to cry hysterically. as a result of my unhealthy relationship with my to-do lists, i have actually been diagnosed as obsessive-compulsive. but i won't give up my lists because i'm sure that i would just sleep all day & wither & die without them. i truly believe this. so, as a result of my obsession with my own lists, i am curious about other people's lists, because i wonder how anyone ever gets anything done when they don't use my extremely rigid to-do list system. i hoped this book could illuminate me, & perhaps also justify my obsession with my lists, perhaps put them in a historical context, & at least a psychological context that isn't quite so damning. i don't think the book really did this, even though i think it aspired to a bit. mostly what i took away from this book was a) shock that anyone could ever accomplish anything when they have terrible handwriting & use ninety different kinds of pens for everything, & b) utter disappointment that anyone would think it was an accomplishment to read twelve books in a single year. i have read twelve books (& more) in a single week before. it seriously made me so sad that i could hardly stand it. but it was interesting to see all the lists. apparently this to-do list thing used to be a magazine. i think it would be a good zine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To-Do List.