Tom Smith's Reviews > Great from the Start: How Conscious Corporations Attract Success

Great from the Start by John B. Montgomery
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great from the Start.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Smith Great From the Start, by John B. Montgomery, is a business book with a higher purpose. The subtitle of the book is “How Conscious Corporations Attract Success.” Rather than start a company to solely maximize profits, Montgomery defines the traits of a conscious company and explains how to create this successful, conscious company. According to Montgomery, the book “shows you how to build a successful and trustworthy corporation designed for humanity that runs on love and trust instead of alternating between hope and fear.”
This higher sense of purpose immediately grabbed my attention. What if there was a way to create a great company with intention and moral purpose while making a profit and doing some good in the world? This book shares the recipe to build the conscious corporation and is a good addition to the entrepreneurship business literature.

The book is broken into 23 short chapters of roughly 10 pages each. At the end of each chapter is a Summary and Call to Action. I appreciated the short chapters of simple, direct sentences. There is much to underline and to appreciate as you read. The book is not completely linear in its content, so you can read the chapters out of order or focus on those topics of interest.

Of particular interest to me was the discussion of cultivating consciousness and the lessons of applying mindfulness techniques to the workplace. It is not typical for most business books to discuss how to befriend fear, develop heart coherence and allow time for downtime. (This information can be found in chapter 11, p. 101).

For these reasons, I rated the book 4 out of 5.
I would highly recommend this book to those who aspire to greater purpose in starting a new company. The book would also be good in providing a “check up” to those entrepreneurs running their companies who want to create a more mindful workplace.

I was talking to friend last night about this book and he wants to read it. In our discussion we both thought that there is a need for creating a more humanistic corporation for the future. I am encouraged this can be so.