Jeff Lanter's Reviews > Crimson Empire, Volume 2: Council of Blood

Crimson Empire, Volume 2 by Mike Richardson

May 25, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, star-wars
Read in May, 2012

It is interesting to read older Star Wars comics and compare them to the more recent series. CEII has some cool ideas in it. The Empire accepting aliens makes sense and I really like the dark and grimy tone of the story. The plot also has a nice number of threads that build off each other well. Despite this, there are some odd things that keep this comic from being great. While I love the Grabba the Hutt, why does he have Jawas in his court and is not on Tatooine? There are also quite a few side characters that don't seem all that Star Wars-y to me. This may seem minor and it is, but they did make me stop and think which is never ideal. That and a few clunky lines of dialogue kept this from hitting on all cylinders. Ultimately, I think the more modern Star Wars comics (Dark Times, Legacy, and even KOTOR) are just stronger than much of the stuff in the late 90s. That could be due to their standalone nature, but whatever the case may be, Crimson Empire II is not a graphic novel I would recommend to other readers until they've exhausted all the newer options.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crimson Empire, Volume 2.