Gwynn White's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

May 25, 12

bookshelves: romance, paranormal-weres-vamps, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

Twilight meets Princess Diaries . . . hmmm. And trolls? Sorry, they just don't do anything for me. The problem is I have visions of the Green Mountain Troll in Harry Potter. Remember the one with all the snot drooling off Harry's wand? My mind just wouldn't move on . . . But then I suppose vampires, werewolves and witches had already been done. Elves or pixies would have worked better. At least they aren't mythological snotgurglers.

CHARACTERS
Wendy irritated me to death. For someone who started off as a feisty, tantrum-throwing girl, she crumpled into a compliant, love-struck whiny who put up with unending abuse from her troll mother. Where was the girl who happily took on the world? When the chips were down all she did was hide in the corner, kissing the love interest.

Lovelorn. That's what happened. And the love interest?

Finn was dull and uninspiring. But it was instaluv, so anything goes. Including turning your back on your 'real family' because the love interest is hot. That's deep, Wendy.

Which brings me to her ditching Matt and Maggie. I still don't really get why she followed Finn to troll land, other than because he was hot.

That said, I really liked Trove. He is a character with real potential. I enjoyed every scene he was in.

I wish I could say the same for his mother. Now there's a stereotype if ever there was one.

THE PRINCESS TRAINING
That turned me off too. No intelligent life form would ever expect Wendy to know how to be a 'Princess because it was in her genes'. That's like saying Steve Job's kids should be able to design brilliant computers without any training just because dad was good at it.

So, two and a half to three stars.

Will I read on. Sadly, I will! I read the chapter on Loki at the end of the book and I have to know more about him . . . sigh. That's the power of marketing.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Tomlinson 'instaluv' - lol - is that your term? Or am I not reading enough twilight troll YA books to be in the know?

But you bring up a good point - the need for 1/2 stars in these reviews -
max

Gwynn White Max, your education is sorely lacking! Pick just about ANY YA book these days and you get instaluv! It's almost a syndrome. Still, we read on in hope . . .