Jessica Bronder's Reviews > The Shadow in the Garden

The Shadow in the Garden by Braden I. McElroy

May 25, 2012

Luna is having a bad day and escapes to her Grandfathers garden with her stuffed dog Tiffy. While there, she finds and a picket fence opening in the hedge-fence and a creepy gnome. Her Grandfather appears and decides that he would like to accompany her on this adventure. Luna and her Grandfather find themselves in Spirithaven. There they meet Mr. Gardener whom helps them find Tiffy when he gets lost in the hedge-fence. He also helps guide them on their way to the Emotive Arbiter.

There Luna and Grandfather have their emotions measured and are send on separate paths. Luna is deemed Lost and sent to The Nothing. There Luna learns more about herself. After making it through The Nothing, she meets Mr. Carpenter whom shows her a special house for dolls. She meets a special doll and them travels to Memory Lane where she meets Mr. Sculptor.

This is a heartwarming story. Poor Luna is so lost and alone when she begins the adventure. After meeting the different people and the challenges, she learns more about herself and what is going on around her. I like how the different challenges that help Luna to grow up in a sense.

There was only one thing that caught my attention. How old is Luna? I get the feeling that she should be older; maybe around 12 or 13 but at the same time she acts younger, maybe 7 or 8. For some reason I had a hard time with that concept.

Beyond that, I really liked this story. The ending was great and very sad. I recommend this book to everyone, especially those that feel lost or alone.

I received this book for free from the Book Rooster program in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow in the Garden.