Joby Walker's Reviews > City of Bones

Jun 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 25 to 26, 2012

I'm very ambivalent about his book. I gave it three stars because it was fast, sometimes fun, had some decent suspense and misdirection.

The Good
-----------------------------------------
Suspense: While not perfect the story does build to the finale, which has some elements that were obvious from the start but also has more than a few changes of direction, reveals, and a decent conclusion.

Pace: A very quick and lively read.

World Building: Not great but has originality and some good texture.

The Bad
-----------------------------------------
The Circle: So all of the adult characters are former members of a would be Nazi-ish organization -- not exactly something that helps me give a damn about them.

Magic: Clare would really be helped if she evaluated her magic system against Sanderson's Laws of Magic. While there is a theoretical cost to runes, in the novel they can be learned instantly, used without cost, and the rules are too soft for the amount of use resulting in deus ex machina -- this simply sucks.

Jace: He's a total asshat, which must be why the girls fall for him. I won't hold this against the book since this is the way things work for teenagers -- doesn't mean I find it easy to read about though.

Yikes: there are some really horrible similes and other writing issues that made be shudder.

Not sure I'm going to read the next book: YA pseudo-romance books don't really interest me but this did subvert some major elements of the genre -- so maybe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Heather I'm curious of what you will think of this book.

Heather I feel like they got better so it might be worth it for you to at least try book 2. :-)