Jeffrey's Reviews > The Words We Live By: Your Annotated Guide to the Constitution

The Words We Live By by Linda R. Monk

Oct 22, 2008

bookshelves: politics-political
Read in October, 2008

Since those taking political office and serving in the armed forces must pledge to support the Constitution, and every citizen informally / indirectly pledges to do so--those who become citizens directly--why this isn't taught every year in high school is beyond comprehension. As I said, the people who take office and pledge to serve this country are those that we vote for, ergo we must know the Constitution well enough to know what those we put in office are pledging to. It only makes sense. But just reading the Constitution without help is difficult for most; therefore, Linda R. Monk.

Monk does a great job of helping the reader understand the complexities of the Constitution . She includes linear quotes / notes / key-term definitions, examples, stats, and more to bring to life the legalese that gets quite dry and difficult to read without foot notes or outside help. Since some of the articles / sections are now moot and some of the language arcane or esoteric, it's essential to have a guide who can put it in more everyday language / terms.

Now that I've read the book, I'm writing articles to be posted at Searchwarp dot com not only to help inform others but to make this important document indelibly ingrained on my Federalist soul. Happy reading.

Oh, I only gave this four stars because of the nature of the read. I'd actually give it six stars for importance but about two for dryness; therefore the average: four. But hey, this isn't about being entertained, even though goodreads is more about that. But you really shouldn't go too long without knowing this stuff VERY well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Words We Live By.

10/01/2008 page 40
13.89% "This is priceless information. Been reading it during jury duty. How relevant is that?"
10/03/2008 page 80
27.78% "A must read before Palin burns it. Hope she didn't see Burn Before Reading. Whoops! A must read for all Americans."
10/13/2008 page 100
34.72% "This should be required reading to maintain citizenship. What's most amazing is the pliable nature of the constitution."
show 3 hidden updates…

Jeffrey Ginnie,

Haven't posted the first one yet--I'll be going article by article, amendment by amendment, but if you just search my name or, yes, type in constitution they'll pop up. You can also look under the category Government / Constitutional Issues.

Jeffrey Ginnie,

Just posted the first of several articles on the Constitution. I've begun with an Introductory Summary. I'd like to read it and to get back to me. I value your opinion. Thanks!