Drebbles's Reviews > Lydia's Charm

Lydia's Charm by Wanda E. Brunstetter

May 25, 2012

bookshelves: 2010
Read in October, 2010

After her husband's death, Lydia King and her young son move to Charm, Ohio to help her mother take care of her grandfather. Lydia is not sure if she is ready for love again, but she can't help noticing two men: Menno Troyer, a widower with four young sons, and Levi Stutzman, the only one in his family who is not a dwarf, devoted to his family, and afraid to marry in case he passes the dwarfism gene onto his children. Someone is leaving gifts for Lydia and her mother at the times they need them the most and Lydia is trying to find out who it is. Before she can, tragedy strikes again, and Lydia wonders if her heart will ever heal enough for her to love again.

"Lydia's Charm" is a nicely done, if at times achingly heartbreaking, novel set in the Amish community. Author Wanda E. Brunstetter has created several memorable and realistic characters, starting with Lydia herself, who has to start her life over again several times, struggling to please her mother, suffering more than one devastating loss, and has to make a major decision regarding her future. Her mother Mae has struggled her whole life to please her father and realizes almost too late how that not only hurt Lydia, but her own happiness. Menno Troyer still mourns the loss of his wife but is willing to do what is best for his children - but does he really know what is best? Finally, Levi Stutzman often sacrifices his own needs to take care of his family and is finally realizing he needs to have his own happy life. All of these people have deep storylines, and it is interesting to watch each character grow. Although the book has several very sad moments (as in put down the book and grab a tissue) there are also some happy moments, particularly for Lydia and her mother. I loved the relationship between the Stuzman's - they are a genuinely caring family. Included in the book are some discussion questions and a few recipes. I wouldn't want to try and make it myself but I sure wish I knew someone would make Frogmore Stew so I could try it out!

"Lydia's Charm" is a nicely done novel set in the Amish community that will linger in readers minds long after they've finished reading it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lydia's Charm.