Big Girl Books's Reviews > Angels' Flight

Angels' Flight by Nalini Singh

May 25, 12

bookshelves: christine, paranormal, apple-pie, chocolate-chip-cookie, hot-chocolate
Read in April, 2012

We come to the last of the Guild Hunter books until Archangels’ Storm is released later this year, regrettably. In Angels’ Flight, four novellas based in the Guild Hunter world are found in one place. I’m going to take them one at a time, in the order they appear in the book.

In Angels’ Pawn a vampire hunter faces off against two rival factions and the angel manipulating them both, and a vampire whose help is not entirely selfless…

This novella focuses on Ashwini, a Guild Hunter Elena knows, and Javier, a vampire who finds himself in trouble with angels a number of times. Javier has a talent for ticking off angels and having contracts put out on him. Ashwini has become the go-to person in regards to hunting Javier down, but is never able to kill him because he miraculously makes up with the angered angel just as she has him in her sights. This has happened several times now. This particular novella is supposed to take place during the interlude between Angels’ Blood and Archangel’s Kiss, and was previously published in the anthology, Must Love Hellhounds.

I thought Ash and Javier’s banter and on-again, off-again flirting was cute, and the story plot itself an interesting one. You see Ash again in Archangel’s Consort for a brief time, which makes me wonder what happened to her after this novella and what is happening to her now. I hope Nalini comes back to her story because it’s not anywhere close to being done.

In Angels’ Judgment a hunter must track one of her own gone bad, while surviving the deadly tests placed in her way by the archangels themselves. Unexpected backup comes from a stranger who might just be the most lethal threat of all…

This novella centers on Sara, Elena’s best friend, but before she became Guild Director, and Declan. It takes place before the Guild Hunter (hence forth referred to as ‘GH’) books and was previously released only in ebook format.

Their banter was cute and there was a kind of hot scene, but nothing explicit happened. You do get to see Elena and Raphael, separately, for a second here and there, which was interesting. Since Declan was never really talked about in the GH books, it was nice to see he does, in fact, have a personality and what his and Sara’s dynamic is, in regards to their relationship and how they get along. I liked it. It made me like Sara more through the re-reads I did of the GH books.

In Angel’s Wolf a vampire becomes fascinated with the seductive angel who rules Louisiana. But all is not what it appears to be in her court.

This novella centers on Noah, the vampire found tortured and left as a message to Raphael in Archangel’s Kiss, and Nimra, the angel in charge of the Louisiana region. Noah is sent to Nimra’s court after his recovery to investigate into a recent assassination attempt on her life. It’s found in the anthology Angels of Darkness, which was released last year.

The story line was interesting, especially since it gives you insight into other courts besides Raphael’s, who doesn’t even have a court, actually. I teared up at one part because it hit kind of close to home. I thought it was a cute story and, as it often happens with novellas, I wanted to see more of them together. There was some possessive hotness from Noah’s side and a bit of an explicit scene, but otherwise, mainly plot.

In Angels’ Dance an angel trapped in the mountain stronghold of the Refuge finds herself under siege by a warrior angel from a martial court.

Last, we come to Jessamy, the teacher and history keeper of the Refuge, and Galen, one of Raphael’s Seven, or as I like to call it “The Reason To Read This Book”.

I loved, loved, loved this novella. It’s set 400 years before the GH books, which I was not expecting. Raphael is considered the youngster of the Cadre at this point. Galen is very much the strong, silent warrior type, and while we get to see a little of him in Archangel’s Kiss, it was nice to get his point of view and backstory. My heart broke for Jessamy at the beginning, but seeing her with Galen made the re-read of Archangel’s Kiss all the better for the small mentions of her in it.

You do get to see Raphael and others in the Seven, including Illium in his “youth”, which was excellent. And there are some short, sexy times to be had between Jessamy and Galen. It will make you want to re-read Archangel’s Kiss, so I’d advise having it close by after you’ve finished, even though Galen and Jessamy are only mentioned a few times in it. This story definitely falls under the curse of novellas because I wanted to see so much more of them together! Gah. I loved it.

Overall, if you’re a fan of the GH books, I’d recommend these novellas. If you don’t want to purchase the book, which is understandable to me because I’m not usually a fan of anthologies, get it from your local library. If nothing else, you should read Galen’s story. You’ll thank me for it later.

Now I’ll just sit here, consumed with an almost overwhelming desire to read Jason’s story in Archangels’ Storm until September. … *twiddles thumbs*

Reviewed at Big Girl Books on April 16th, 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels' Flight.