Big Girl Books's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

May 25, 12

bookshelves: christine, historical, hot-chocolate, lollipop
Read in May, 2012

Eloisa James and I have had a difficult time seeing eye to eye in the past. I’ve tried reading her works twice before this, only to set them aside without finishing. The first was because one of the characters annoyed me beyond belief and the second because the plot was not at all to my liking. I wrote her off as one of those unfortunate authors I would never like. However, when I read The Lady Most Likely…: A Novel in Three Parts, I liked her part in that anthology enough to put her back in circulation, but it wasn’t until I learned she’d written a Beauty & the Beast book that I found the courage to read another of her books.

One thing about me: I LOVE Beauty & the Beast stories. I have yet to find one I don’t like, so chances were good I’d like this one. But I didn’t just like it, I greatly enjoyed this book. It was witty and funny and rather steamy and just… good.

I adored this book. I don’t know if it’s because I used to watch and greatly enjoy episodes of House or if I subconsciously categorized this as a form of Sherlock Holmes fanfiction, but I found Piers to be amusing, brilliant, of course, and not at all Beast-like. Sure, he has a few rough patches in his personality and he tends to growl a lot and make fun of people, but I have a feeling I’d react similarly to Linnet and not let him intimidate me.

Linnet was described as beautiful beyond compare and she did know how to use that to her advantage, as most pretty girls do, but she had a brain and thank goodness, knew how to use it. Not only did she keep up with Piers, but she was inquisitive enough to want to learn what she didn’t already know. (Sidenote: If you’re a fan of Julia Quinn, you’ll see a couple fake literary references to her work in this book.)

I liked the ending. It’s always good to have two people starting out together in life on equal footing. It didn’t feel rushed, as most romance books do, but just enough to leave us satisfied.

I even enjoyed the secondary characters. You’re introduced to Piers’ cousin, Sebastian, whom I likened to Dr. Wilson from House, Piers’ parents and the colorful people who work in his castle, which is ran more like a hospice than a household.

And if Sebastian is Dr. Wilson than Linnet is definitely John Watson. I’m sure a number of you could argue they’re the same person, essentially, and Linnet should be Irene Adler or Dr. Cuddy, but this is my review, so I’m saying she’s John Watson. You can say whatever you’d like in your own review.

I haven’t read any of the other books in this Fairy Tales series, but I’m much more inclined to pick up an Eloisa James book now than I was before, so I’m counting this a win. Overall, this is a fun book that will have you reading until the early hours of the morning because you simply can’t put it down.

Reviewed at Big Girl Books on May 14th, 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.