Julia's Reviews > The Snow Child

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

May 28, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-new-to-me-author-a-z-challenge, based-on-folksong-myth, fantasy, magical-realism, best-book-i-read-in-2012
Read from May 25 to 28, 2012

What a beautiful book! A lonely, grief-stricken, childless couple move to Alaska in the 1920’s to farm and there, in the snow, make a snow girl who turns into a real girl the next morning. Or does she? At first, she disappears every spring and returns with the first snowfall, then, things change. This debut novel by an Alaskan we should all be keeping track of now, is lyrical, sweet and coated in love and loss.

Is this novel fantasy, magical realism or something else? Who cares! It's beautiful writing, please read it already!

"I see that life itself is often more fantastic and terrible than the stories we believed as children, and that perhaps there is no harm in finding magic among the trees." (251)

I live where it gets very cold in the winter. So I have a rule for myself, the last books I can read that take place in the cold, I read by October. This is a perfect Memorial Day/ summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Child.

09/07 marked as: read