David Ketelsen's Reviews > Gone Missing

Gone Missing by Linda Castillo

Jun 15, 12

Read from June 13 to 14, 2012

I received this book free through a Goodreads give-away.

Gone Missing is a very entertaining and enjoyable book. That said, it does have a few problems. There were times while reading it that I seriously considered giving it a 3-star rating and once even a 2-star. However after I finished reading the book, particularly the last chapter, I felt Linda Castillo redeemed herself and I ended up liking the book quite a bit.

For me, the book starts off on a bad note. I almost tossed it in the trash pile. The prologue involves a 15-year old Amish girl recounting how her 18-year old brother had been abusing her since she was 3 years old. I find that form of sensationalizing fiction by means of sexual descriptions of minors to be reprehensible. I found it interesting that Castillo's main character, Chief of Police Kate Burkholder, spent a lot of page time emoting about the evils of abusing minors.

In any case, I'm glad I continued reading because the book became very interesting. The descriptions of the Amish, while at times a mite repetitive, were also compelling. Castillo's background of growing up in Western Ohio helped, no doubt, since this is where the Kate Burkholder novels are set. Her descriptions of the people and lifestyle come across as very authentic.

There seem to be a few holes in the plot that really bothered me but they were neatly filled in near the end of the book. In a neat fashion that left me quite impressed. Personally I'd prefer Castillo to skip the sex with minors aspect to these books but other than that this is top shelf writing. You can see Castillo's roots in romance writing when it comes to the relationship between her central characters. Their dancing with commitment issues is very real to life and refreshing to see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Missing.