Andrea thebusybibliophile's Reviews > Take Me There

Take Me There by Carolee Dean

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: kindle, ya-saves
Read from June 17 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Dylan is trying hard to live down his past, and he’s trying even harder to help his best friend Wade stay on the right path as well. It’s hard, though, when everyone expects them to screw up and temptation stands in their way every single day. His dad’s on death row for murder and his mom’s drunk most of the time. But Dylan meets a girl who seems able to look beyond his past and see what he can be; maybe he’s finally making progress. Then, during a particularly brutal situation, someone ends up dead and Dylan and Wade panic and take off on a road trip to escape. They end up staying with his father’s mother and while trying to find out the truth behind his mother’s odd behavior and the real reason his father’s in jail, he ends up finding out all sorts of family secrets.

The story jumped between Dylan’s current point of view, and his memory of the previous few weeks. Every once in a while there was an excerpt from Dylan’s father’s book. At first it was annoying to have to jump around, but I got used to it quickly. Dylan was a very troubled young man and I really felt that he was trying to make things right, even though it would have been much easier to just do what everyone expected of him. He did his best to take care of his mother and his friend, even when his friend was doing everything he could to get back into trouble. I was pissed off that Dylan’s mom was so out of touch with him, and really pissed that Wade was such a dumbass. But they were all believable, in their own flawed ways.

The dialogue was real, with lots of bad language and tough talk. There were gangs involved, and you know they don’t keep things pleasant and polite. The plot was a little convoluted, and the pace was slower than I would have liked. There was a lot of build-up and it just kept going; the real action and excitement happened right at the end. I was surprised at the way things went down, and I liked that I didn’t see it coming. Take Me There was much darker than I was expecting. It dealt with heavy issues and it did so in a real and believable way. Dylan could have ended up in a very dark place, and nobody really would have blamed him, but he turned into such a strong person.

I’m not sure about the cover – it’s striking, but not really a part of the story.

The sum up: Take Me There was dark and hopeful. Next time you’re in the mood for something serious, give it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take Me There.