Kathy 's Reviews > I am a Pole

971945
May 25, 2012

bookshelves: humor
Read on May 24, 2012

I read this book in a bookstore yesterday, never intending to read it, but my son's girlfriend picked it up and started reading it out loud. Before I knew it, we were both reading it out loud and laughing. In fact, we laughed at every page, at the witty wording, at the concept of the pole searching for its purpose, at the just plain fun silliness, and at the well done illustrations. It was in short, and it is a very short book, a delightful surprise shared with one of my favorite people in one of my favorite places. No one was more shocked than I that I loved this crazy little book. Of course, I'm a sucker for the playfulness of language, which this book has in spades. Again, I never expected to like such a book by Colbert, but I must give credit where credit is due, and Colbert is due much credit for providing a welcome relief to the seriousness of life and the world. As Maurice Sendak's blurb states at the top of the book, "The sad thing is, I like it!" No, I didn't buy the book, but I know that I will end up doing so. Serendipity defined!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am a Pole.

02/04/2016 marked as: read

Lisa Vegan Okay, I'm intrigued again. I read a lot of negative reviews so I haven't added it to my to-read shelf. I guess I'll check the library. Thanks, Kathy.

Kathy Lisa wrote: "Okay, I'm intrigued again. I read a lot of negative reviews so I haven't added it to my to-read shelf. I guess I'll check the library. Thanks, Kathy."

Well, I was rather prejudiced against the book, too. I really couldn't imagine Colbert creating a book like this that I would enjoy. I thought it would just be stupid silly. The wordplay is what won me over. I love clever wordplay. I don't really think it's a children's book due to some of the subtleties that they might not get and the page where the pole tries out pole dancing (would not really want to explain that one to a small child,lol), but it's a great adult picture book.

Lisa Vegan Ha! I love word play too. I added it to my picture-books shelf but not my children's shelf.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited May 25, 2012 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Vegan Well, there are more and more women taking up pole dancing just to get strenuous exercise.
;-)

Kathy Lisa wrote: "Well, there are more and more women taking up pole dancing just to get strenuous exercise.
;-)"

True enough. I hadn't thought of that. I guess my mind is still in the gutter from having read the Shades of Grey trilogy. LOL!

Lisa Vegan Oh, and I'm sure Colbert's mind is in the gutter too.