Shay Williams's Reviews > Spellcaster

Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

May 29, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, young-adult
Read from May 25 to 29, 2012

I love it when I come across a heroine who is like a breath of fresh air. Emma has experienced a lot of tragedy in her short life as she has lost her twin to a disease and her mother and stepfather to a car accident. However rather then being beaten down, it has made her stronger. She has found her 'true love' which makes her giddy with happiness yet she has not thrown away her common sense and consummated the relationship. If I had a daughter I would hope that she was like Emma.

I was also impressed by the deft touch Ms. Schultz is with all of her characters. A boyfriend like Brendan is like a dream come true. He is tender, loyal and protective of Emma but he does have his weaknesses such as over-protectiveness and a temper. Her best friend Angelique also has her up and downsides. It is actually quite amusing to watch her and Brendon go at it. And we must not forget the other students that Emma runs into. I recognize quite a few of them from my days in high school.

This book is very much character driven but there is also a lot of action that keeps the reader engrossed in the storyline itself. The pacing is right on and the dialogue is realistic and down right amusing at times. I would recommend this book to any reader of the paranormal. While it is a young adult book, I think that adults would also enjoy reading it.

I rate this book a 3.7.

*** I did receive this book from NetGalley for a fair and honest review. No money exchanged hands and all opinions are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellcaster.