Amber's Reviews > Gold

Gold by Chris Cleave

2819930
May 25, 12

Read in May, 2012

I remember when I first picked up Little Bee in the store I pulled Matt over and just had to read lines aloud to him because the writing was so beautiful. Chris Cleave has a talent for writing lines that reach out and grab you. They beg to be highlighted, underlined, shared. His books are perfect book club books because when you read them, you don't just feel like you want to talk to someone about them, you feel like you must.

As with his other books, the juxtapositions make it compelling. Here, health and sickness, loss and victory play the major roles. The characters he's created are messy, like the decisions they must make. They're constantly weighing outcomes, devising strategies, weighing wins and losses. I kept turning pages trying to guess what moves they'd make and hoping the next page would help me understand their motivations.

Ultimately this book made me ask questions of myself. What would I do? How far would I push myself? How much would I be willing to sacrifice? How do I define winning? Like all great books, I didn't stop thinking about it after I put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gold.