Liviu's Reviews > Luntrea lui Caron

Luntrea lui Caron by Lucian Blaga

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: mainstream, romanian_language, read_2012, aq_more_favorites
Read from May 24 to June 02, 2012

This is my second read of the book, but in a way the first really careful such as years ago in the early 00's I loaned a copy from the Romanian Library in NYC but the very depressing nature of the novel made it a hard slog and I read some parts carefully and some parts fast.

The book is actually more or less a novel as it is very autobiographical and even his choice of splitting his personality into 2 characters - the philosopher and the narrator poet/diplomat and the trajectory of each is very natural as under the darkness falling on Romania, the poet at least could write his poems in private and hope to have them re-edited at some point as it actually happened though only soon after the author's death, but the philosopher was dead; in another touch the author anticipates his death near his birthday...

Now as an ebook became available for a very good price I immediately got it (when i found about it of course, the ebook may have been out there for a while..) and I took my time with the novel.

Just great style from Lucian Blaga and a superb but very dark testimony of how the darkness fell on Romania from 1944 (slowly at first, though the author is one of the lucid ones that sees clearly where August 23 will lead) till 1989

Highly, highly recommended but not an easy read as you will find yourself despairing alongside the narrator; the love stories and especially Ana Rares bring a little relief but of course we know it's temporary as the dark is there to stay for almost half a century
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luntrea lui Caron.