♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Sep 17, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-e-book
Read from September 12 to 15, 2012

Unspoken is not the story I was expecting, and I enjoyed that. Somehow I thought this would be a dark and serious tale, and some of it is. Mostly, it was a story full of wit and fun, a little romance, and magic.

Unspoken is centered on Kami Glass, a high-school student, and ambitious journalist-in-training. She’s head of the school newspaper, and always on the trail of a new story. But now Kami’s focused on uncovering secrets, because the founding family of Sorry-in-the-Vale, The Lynburn’s, have come back, after a seventeen year absence, and no one thinks this is a good thing. There’s one more thing you need to know about Kami: she’s grown up with an imaginary friend (or so she thinks), Jared. When the Lynburn boys show up in school, Kami finds out that Jared is not an imaginary friend at all, but a real live flesh and blood boy. A boy not happy to find out that his imaginary friend is anything but. Kami is shocked, as well, but this has to take a backseat to the strange occurrences that start happening around her.

Animal sacrifices, an attempt on her life, and the murder of a girl, become the mysteries that must be solved. Is it a coincidence that all this has happened since the Lynburn’s return? Kami doesn’t think so. Everywhere she turns she gets a warning to stay away from the Lynburn’s, they’re dangerous, but why? Even her mother begs her to stay away from Jared, but Kami knows she can’t. To stay away from him would be like tearing herself in half.

Kami is such a quirky, unstoppable, and fun force. Her sense of humor was dry, witty and sharp. It was impossible not to be enamored with her from the get-go. Kami’s always thought of herself as a bit crazy, knowing normal people didn’t have an imaginary friend. When she finds out Jared is real, she knows that some sort of magic must exist and be involved. Kami can’t help but be tentative and frightened of Jared, because he knows so many of her inner thoughts and secrets. Someone like that can hold so much power over you.

Jared is angry to find out Kami is real too, for the same reasons. He’s a moody, broody, male and doesn’t like that he’s so vulnerable to Kami. But soon they sort out most of their anger, and become closer than ever before. Jared is fiercely protective of Kami now that he knows someone’s out to kill her. He can’t lose Kami, the most important connection in his life; someone who’s always been in his corner, even when his family has not. I found myself rooting for their brewing romance even as they fought so hard against it. I wanted to scream: “Kiss her, dammit!” These two go back and forth and had me laughing some of the time. Here’s a fun quote:

“A leather jacket,” Kami said as he shrugged into it. “Aren’t you trying a little too hard to play into certain bad boy clichés?”
“Nah,” said Jared. “You’re thinking of black leather. Black leather’s for bad boys. It’s all in the color. You wouldn’t think I was a bad boy if I was wearing a pink leather jacket.”
“That’s true,” Kami said. “What I would think of you, I do not know. So what does brown leather mean, then?”
“I’m going for manly,” Jared said. “Maybe a little rugged.”
“It’s bits of a dead cow, don’t ask it to perform miracles.”-Kami

There are a few twists and turns that keep you guessing who’s at the bottom of this mystery. Suspicion is cast on everyone. There’s a fun cast of secondary characters, as well: Angela, Kami’s perpetually annoyed and unfailingly loyal best friend. Rusty, Angela’s brother, a self-defense instructor always leaping out on the two of them to keep their defenses sharp. Holly, the eager new friend. Kami’s father and little brothers, Ten, who is ten, and seven year-old, Tomo, also bring a lot of random and silly humor to the story. The Lynburn family figures in prominently, but they are far from fun.

I had two complaints with the story, one bigger than the other. First, the writing felt a little disjointed and choppy in places. Not a smooth transition from one happening to the next. Not a huge issue but it took some getting used to. My second complaint is a much bigger deal to me: the HORRIBLE cliffhanger we’re left on!! Why, why, why?!! Ugh!! I have no patience whatsoever, and now I’m forced to wait until next June to find out what happens! In spite of these complaints, I did really enjoy the story and I’m eagerly anticipating the sequel.

Thanks to Random House Books for Young Readers and Netgalley for allowing me to read this.

You can find this review and more at The Readers Den.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

09/12/2012 page 29
7.0% "Ash leaned in the doorway, his eyes averted from the sight of Kami dancing. The dance involved flailing, brandishing of vase flowers, and most importantly the victory shimmy, so Kami could not really blame him." 3 comments
09/14/2012 page 53
14.0% ""The best part (of the library) was a computer with an Internet connection that Kami did not have to share with two brothers, one intent on watching every funny cat video the Web had to offer..." Hey! What's wrong with funny cat videos?!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaitlyn Francis happy reading :)

♥Rachel♥ Oh, I see your 5 stars, Kaitlyn! I'll check out your review when I finish, but this makes me happy! :)

Donna {Book Passion for Life} Ummm I didn't like this one that much - hope you like it though hun!

♥Rachel♥ We'll see with this one, Donna. I've seen so many mixed ratings. Either they're 5 star or 2. Hmm...let's see where I land. :)

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam This book seems to be splitting people down the middle! Like you said, lots of 5 star reviews and lots of 2s. I really hope it works for you, Rachel! :)

♥Rachel♥ Me too, Sam. I like it so far but I'm only 30 pages in.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I really miss these characters already! Jared and Kami were so awkward and cute together. I love that leather jacket scene! Brilliantly reviewed, Rachel. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sam. I thought the humor in this was wonderful. There were a few other quotes, like this one: "Tomo: “What are you doing here?” Tomo wanted to know. “I’ve never seen you before! Do you know any Snoopy songs?” “Uh, no,”said Jared. “Sorry.” I wanted to use but my review was getting too long. Also, unless you read the book, it may not have been quite so funny. I can't wait for more romance with Kami and Jared in the next one. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I love that quote! Tomo and Ten were adorable. Their dad was pretty hilarious too. :D

(view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ I want them (view spoiler) Is this a 2 book series or trilogy? I'm going to check.

message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam (view spoiler)

Let me know if you find out. I hope it's more than just two books - as long as they're this good! :)

message 12: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Sep 15, 2012 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Rachel♥ Just saw this image on her twitter account:

I'm guessing that means 3 books?

message 13: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I hope so! And I do like the sound of book 2. Should we take that as a hint? :D

Keertana I just had to jump in and I totally agree with Sam - if Book 2 is about making out, I'm all for it! As long as it's between Jared and Kami of course... (view spoiler) This is going to be a loooooong wait...

♥Rachel♥ @Sam-I hope so!

I'm all for book 2 if it's about making out, too, Keertana! Lol!

(view spoiler)

Keertana Rachel, I love your opinion so much! If that's the case, then this situation can be resolved, albeit with a bit of drama (and a lot of making out hopefully as well)! ;) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that since I have a bad habit of thinking the worst of every situation, so I'm hoping you're right! :)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura I love this line—“moody, broody”. :) I’m looking forward to reading this one! Wonderful review, Rachel!

Suzanne I really hope your right about Jared, Rachel. I would love to see them reform the connection too. She better not end up with Ash :( I look forward to the making out, as long as it's with Jared lol. I don't want it if it's with someone else.

Great review Rachel. I thought there were so many great quotes in this book, but like you say, taken out of context they wouldn't sound as funny :)

message 19: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Ha! I agree with that Suzanne. Making out is only allowed if it's with Jared. ;)

♥Rachel♥ Laura wrote: "I love this line—“moody, broody”. :) I’m looking forward to reading this one! Wonderful review, Rachel!"

Thank you Laura! You know how I love my "moody-broody" males! :)

♥Rachel♥ Suzanne (Paranormal Book Fan) wrote: "I really hope your right about Jared, Rachel. I would love to see them reform the connection too. She better not end up with Ash :( I look forward to the making out, as long as it's with Jared lol...."

Thanks Suzanne. I hope I'm right too! Only making out with Jared, please! There were so many funny lines in this I was constantly cracking up. I'd like to try this author's other work because she clearly has a wonderful sense of humor. :)

♥Rachel♥ Sam wrote: "Ha! I agree with that Suzanne. Making out is only allowed if it's with Jared. ;)"

Ditto!! :)

Kaitlyn Francis have you checked out the free short stories that are before this one it told through Jared's pov and the other involes the summer that changed everything and yes i am so looking forward to the 2nd book the shorts have helped in a way :)

Suzanne ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Suzanne (Paranormal Book Fan) wrote: "I really hope your right about Jared, Rachel. I would love to see them reform the connection too. She better not end up with Ash :( I look forward to the makin..."

Same here Rachel, I'm going to give her other series a go now.

message 25: by Monika (last edited Sep 17, 2012 08:01AM) (new)

Monika The end.... just cruel. :( (view spoiler) Great review, Rachel. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you. It was cruel, Monika! (view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Kaitlyn wrote: "have you checked out the free short stories that are before this one it told through Jared's pov and the other involes the summer that changed everything and yes i am so looking forward to the 2nd ..."

I still have to check those out, Kaitlyn. Thanks for telling me. :)

message 28: by Monika (new)

Monika (view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Monika wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Eeeek Monica! I missed your comment! I'm so sorry! I think you're right, (view spoiler)