Rahime's Reviews > An Unproductive Woman

An Unproductive Woman by Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali

Sep 04, 12

Read from September 03 to 04, 2012

An incredibly absorbing read. I stayed up til 2 am reading and then finished it the next morning. The story was interesting and I felt the characters were especially well-developed - I especially liked how even though Adam was a jerk, I was still able to kind of sympathize with him bc it was so clear that his actions stemmed from his own weakness and insecurity and deep down, he was ashamed himself. At least I didn't want to throw things while reading his perspective, which has happened to me with other things.

Shortcomings: common to a lot of Kindle-published reads, some clunky writing in places which pretty much boils down to 'needs a better editor.' It was slight in this one, nowhere near enough to interrupt my enjoyment of the story, and I definitely didn't finish it feeling sorry for the money I'd spent on it (which has happened to me with other Kindle-published writing). I would jump at a sequel or another similar story by the same author. I can't say how much I enjoy reading fiction with Muslim characters. (For anyone who's read the books by 'Umm Zakiyyah' - I would say this is less preachy and more centered on an actual plot with stuff happening more than a vehicle for 'let me tell you about my religion' or 'let me convince you on some certain aspect of my religion.')

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unproductive Woman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana sounds interesting... :)

Rahime It is, I stayed up to 2 am because the story had sucked me in. And then I couldn't sleep thinking about it!

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana Lol! That's how u know it's good.