Keri's Reviews > Heartsick

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: reviewed, 2012-read, suspense, serial-killer, chelsea-cain, ntm-author
Read in June, 2012

Chelsea Cain is a NTM author and I now have a new series to glom on. Ok for those that read Ward's Fallen Angel series, know that Devina and Gretchen are soul sisters, because they are both evil incarnate.

Archie, just put on homicide right off the bat catches the biggest case of his life, he gets put on a task force tracking a prolific serial killer. Of course profiles have the profile down as older, white male...blah..blah...blah. The task force have been meeting at a shrink's house in order to get a handle on their feelings for this monster. At this point they have been chasing him for 10 years. Archie is now the head of the task force and is kidnapped by the killer and surprise it wasn't the right profile. The killer is Gretchen and she is going to unleash her worst on him. She wants his heart on a silver platter...litterly.

Boy does she ever, she carves him up, performs surgery and other various sundry lists of torture devices that you will have to read for yourself. He survives barely and when I say survives I mean his heart is still beating when they get to him, but his mind that is another story entirely and where the story gets interesting. I don't want to reveal too much, but his relationship with Gretchen becomes twisted to the point that you are repulsed but you can't stop reading. Gretchen has Archie's life in her hands and she ended up saving him and turning herself in. We aren't sure why though and I am sure that will continue throughout the series.

Now Archie goes and sees her every Sunday without fail..he has too because if he comes to see her, then Gretchen gives up more bodies that she buried across the nation...didn't I tell you she was a prolific serial killer? Now young girls are coming up missing and found dead and the task force has been brought together again to find their killer. Is Archie up to the task? Can he still bring the bad guys in when he feels so broken?

We also have our reporter Susan, who is going teditorialstorial's about Archie. I liked and hated Susan at times, but in the end I understood some of her insecurities and let it slide. If you like suspense with some real twists and turns you might give CC a chance. Be warned the descriptions of the dead was pretty graphic at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartsick.

Quotes Keri Liked

Chelsea Cain
“Our relationship is complicated by the fact that I am emotionally retarded.”
Chelsea Cain, Heartsick

06/13/2012 page 25
7.0% "Wow powerful start of this book."
06/14/2012 page 135
40.0% "Gretchen....Gretchen...you are too evil for words."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Teddy What's an NTM author ?