Kristen N.'s Reviews > Earthseed

Earthseed by Pamela Sargent

Jun 28, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads-giveaway
Read from June 25 to 26, 2012

Earthseed book 1 of the Seed Series by Pamela Sargent is a timeless masterpiece originally written in 1983 that raises important questions and will leave readers with intriguing issues to ponder. Earthseed is an old-school science fiction book that offer far more psychological drama and adventure than your typical flashy space operas. Earthseed is suspenseful, thought-provoking and thoroughly engrossing. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have discovered this series! Ship is an A.I. built from/on an asteroid by the last surviving members of Earth to hold the DNA of all living animals, plants and even select human into space, to find a New Earth and to preserve humankind. Children are born from artificial wombs, then raised by ship who is mother/father figure, mentor and friend to them. Ship is responsible for the care of the passengers, providing them with every-day necessities, knowledge and training. Ship is also responsible for not only for keeping them alive, but teaching them how to stay alive on their own when they finally land on a new planet and Ship will no longer be able to assist them. Earthseed by Pamela Sargent raises many important questions! Is it possible to start over and not fall into the same patterns? Are we bound to repeat the same mistakes our ancestors made? Can we change who we are, and how we behave, in order to create a new and better world? Or are we destined to drive ourselves to the brink of extinction once again, sliding down the spiral of violence, anger and despair? I really appreciated the lack of romance in Earthseed, it is unnecessary and I was glad to see that Pamela Sargent didn't try to squeeze it into the plot as most authors do. Earthseed is all about survival, life lessons, and exploring the depth of human nature. More of an intellectual feast than a romanticized vision of space travel, and definitely not some cheesy space love story. I recommend Earthseed book 1 of the Seed Series by Pamela Sargent for all scifi and young-adult lovers. I read that it was recently optioned by Paramount to become a major motion picture. If this is indeed true I just PRAY they do not ruin Earthseed by Pamela Sargent the way so many books to movies have been. Earthseed book 1 of the Seed Series by Pamela Sargent is a remarkable and astonishing novel, and just couldn't put it down. I am looking forward to reading Farseed book 2 of the Seed Series by Pamela Sargent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthseed.