Melanie's Reviews > Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything

Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything by Laura Grace Weldon

May 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: homeschooling, essays, non-fiction, how-to, pedagogy
Read from June 07 to July 09, 2012

This is the first book I've read that makes any sense of "unschooling." It actually sounds a lot like toddler-educating. I'm not actually seeing how kids will learn things like reading/writing/arithmetic without a bit more structure though. For everything else it makes at least some sense.

I was pleased to see a sidebar in this book comparing public education to factory farming. It wasn't an image I'd considered before, but I can see how it fits.

The book itself is kind of annoying to read, since it's just acres of text on huge white pages, and is a bunch of articles and anecdotes strung together instead of one cohesive work. Also, there are mountains of typos, and many of the resources listed are either no longer valid, incorrectly identified, or not useful. The main gist is to get to know people around you and use them to help you learn. There are some good ideas in here but the idea that a kid can learn everything they want to learn naturally and without curriculum is a bit hard to swallow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything.

06/07/2012 page 10
06/10/2012 page 86
28.0% "Taking a little break in order to work on one that has an earlier return date."
show 4 hidden updates…