Lauren K. Alleyne's Reviews > Forgotten Country

Forgotten Country by Catherine Chung

May 24, 12

Forgotten Country, is a novel that holds many stories. It is the story of two sisters who struggle to define themselves in relationship to each other, their family, and the cultures they’ve inherited and have grown up in. It’s the story of a family straddling two countries, languages, cultures, histories—of how they navigate what to hold on to, what to reach for, and what to let go. It is the story of two countries—America and Korea—with their separate and linked histories of violence, separation and reformation. But largest and most ambitious in this novel, is the story of all of us. It is the story of our flawed human selves, our vast human longings, our capacity for love, cruelty, error and redemption. “Each life contains as much meaning as all of history,” Chung writes in Forgotten Country. And as the stories swirl, slamming against and into each other, we’re pulled between the historical and the individual; we engage in the epic human quest of finding a place to belong and to call our own.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten Country.