Holden Attradies's Reviews > Ms. Marvel Volume 5: Secret Invasion

Ms. Marvel Volume 5 by Brian Reed

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, sequential-art, super-heroes
Read in May, 2012 , read count: 1

I really do adore Ms. Marvel, she's perhaps my favorite single Marvel character. And I REALLY like the flawed persona with anger issues that's clearly portrait in this volume. Even though Danvers ripples with power and ambition and ability she is quite able to get a handle on her life, and as a character in a book she shines best in those moments of struggle against herself.

I liked the Secret Invasion story. But unlike many of the other big Marvel events I've liked the side stories from it WAYYYYY more than the actual comic. You really get to see the paranoia that just one or two skrull could inflict here. And on top of that it was really cool seeing yet another part of the battle for New York.

Visually this volume was great. Not just the art but the page layout and text and sound effects placement. The flashback stuff in the beginning was really cool. I haven't actually read the Captain Marvel stuff so I'm not sure if those are pulled from there or if they are original works done in the old style. If they are original it makes them that much cooler.

I had only two complaints from this volume. There were a few plot hooks left undeveloped, and it always makes me nervous seeing that in a comic series I like. I always worry either the questions will never get answered do to another writer coming on board or that they will get answered in another series I don't read. My second complaint was the lead in to the next story arc. I was just... very abrupt. I'm not sure why it couldn't have just waited till the next "issue" but maybe once I've read the next one I'll like the lead in better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ms. Marvel Volume 5.