Laura W.'s Reviews > Without Tess

Without Tess by Marcella Pixley

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: truman-prelims-2012, 2012-overall, ugh-this-book
Read from May 29 to June 04, 2012

I feel bad giving this one a lower star rating like this, but it just was not my cup of tea. If it weren't for the fact that I was reading it to judge it and put it on a nominee list for 2013-14, I probably would not have started it at all. These types of books just don't speak to me. But even if I had picked it up of my own accord, I'm not sure I would have made it past about 50 or so pages in.

I feel like there's a lot of inferences required of the reader, and things that I can pick up on as an educator and adult that a tween or teen would not necessarily pick out as they're reading. And even with that, there was a lot of the situation that I just did not understand. But it still works given that we're seeing these things through the eyes of a fifteen year old looking back on life; and often our early memories are hazy and not quite as deep and connected as we would like them. Honestly, I probably would give it a 2.5 but as that's not an option, it was just too difficult for me to get into and felt like it may have some similar issues with the intended audience.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Without Tess.

05/30/2012 page 23
05/30/2012 page 51
18.0% "Oh my God, I can already tell this is going to be a struggle of a book...so much lack of interest on my part."