Nicolas Ward's Reviews > Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book One

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, fiction, graphicnovel, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic
Read on May 24, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Apparently I'm just in the mood for post-apocalyptic fiction these days. I picked this one up on a whim from our local library branch, which has the first four hardcover volumes. I think I'd previously read the first paperback bound (I.e. non-comic) version in a bookstore a while ago, which amounts to the first chapter or so of this printing.

As I may have mentioned before, I strongly prefer waiting and reading comic series in bound form, or alternatively in a digital form where I can tear through issues in bulk. I just don't have the patience to read such a small amount of text and then have to wait a month for the next issue. Maybe that's why I was never really into comics as a kid, but rather the TV adaptations? They were my primary exposure to some of the big names in both the Marvel and DC universes, mainly X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, and Superman.

This review contains a few spoilers. I'll probably do some summary thoughts of the whole series once I finish the last volume, and see where the full plot is going.

I think the premise is interesting, if a bit hard to believe. Of course as with a lot of dystopian futures, it's not that it's a realistic future, but that it is a way for the artist(s) to make a statement about current society. This has a bit of "humanity's underlying animal nature", primarily ddemonstrated by the Amazons. They kinda creeped me out, especially the whole breast-removal self-mutilation thing. I know it was inspired by a legendary tribe, but it's not like they were active in archery. I suppose that says I have expectations about how women should look in comics?

I had a couple of criticisms: I don't believe the main character's motivations for going out to find his girlfriend instead of just hiding to survive; I don't think the cloning scientist would jump to the wild conclusion that her clone baby started the plague; and there would be way more male survivors on submarines and other sealed environments, not just the ISS. Maybe the later volumes will clarify the nature of the plague (if that's what it even is) so that I understand why there weren't more male survivors.

I'll have to put the next volume on hold after I finish some other books. It was acceptable enough to keep reading, so I'll see where the series goes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.