MelissaB's Reviews > Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

1320046
Oct 07, 08

bookshelves: darkhunters, paranormal-romance
Recommended for: dark hunter fans
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

This book was a little slow in the beginning but really picked up about a quarter of the way through.

Ravyn and Susan were an interesting couple. Ravyn was a very hot Dark Hunter/Arcadian Were Hunter. He, of course, had some issues. His family killed him about 300 years ago after he told his potential mate that he was a Were Hunter, which caused her to gather a group of humans to attack Ravyn's villiage and kill some of his pack including his mother and sister. His brother killed him for his "betrayal", which caused Ravyn to become a Dark Hunter when he cried out to Artemis for his vengence against the humans. Susan is a disgraced reporter who works for a sleezy magazine similar to the National Enquirer. She used to be one of the nation's top investigative reporters until she trusted the wrong source and had her life go down in flames (Dan Rather?). Susan meets Ravyn when she picks him up at an animal shelter at the request of her friend. Ravyn is stuck in cat form because of a magical collar and if he doesn't change soon, he will die. Susan gets the collar off of him and the bad guys start showing up. This is where the story started to get interesting.

Susan and Ravyn are fighting the Daimons that seriously have it in for the Dark Hunters. Ash is nowhere to be found (haha, I read Acheron so I know where he was, why he was there and why he couldn't leave!). During all of the fighting, Ravyn and Susan somehow find time to fall for each other, despite the fact that she is allergic to him :) After they do some mattress dancing, they get the magical markings that say they are mates. So basically, the rest of the book was fighting with Daimons while trying to figure out what their master plan was, as well as Ravyn and Susan trying to figure out their relationship aka do we wanna be mates?

I really liked Ravyn in the book, I am a sucker for a hot shapeshifter. Susan's unending sarcastic remarks got on my nerves at first but I started to warm up to her, though I still don't think she could have been the great Daimon fighter she was depite the karate she took years ago. I think I understood this book a lot better because of reading the first half of Acheron before this book. I know who Appollymi is and why she is in Kalosis, I know Ash's background and why he lets the "bitch goddess" treat him the way she does (plus I know he will be free of her and no longer have to pay in flesh and blood for love). Overall, it was a decent book but still doesn't hold a candle to Acheron.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Side of the Moon.

10/03/2008 page 65
18.41% "Not too bad so far but Acheron was just so much better, SK set the bar too high with that one. It does help to know the backstory of everyon"
10/03/2008 page 104
29.46% "The story is getting better....."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Miss Kim I just finished this one. If you love the DH's, you'll love this one. More on Ash, etc.

MelissaB Well, I kinda already read Acheron even though I was only up to this book in the series. I LOVED Acheron, it was by far my favorite of the series. I have reread the second half of Acheron two more times since because I enjoyed it so much.

Miss Kim I am SO dying to get to Acheron. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it--aside from it being huge. I'm racing thru the series. I love how his story is the back story in all of them. I am anal about reading series in order.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I can't wait to read Acheron, faithful follower of the series here and I've been putting off reading it till I know I can give it my complete attention. Don't want to miss any detail on this one!

MelissaB I read Acheron at the beach so I could put all of my attention to it and just spend hours reading. It still took me two days though! It was amazing, I still love Achimou! Nick is on my last nerve because he dares to be mean to Ash and I can't stand for anyone else to hurt him after all he went through.

Miss Kim I am a few books away from Acheron. Its looking like that will be holiday treat. I am currently ticked at Nick for being an a-hole too! He better shape up.

Sophia (FV) "I am a sucker for a hot shapeshifter"

ROFLMBO!!!!!!! Me too. :)