Zack's Reviews > Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

M 50x66
May 24, 2012

Fallen Angels is a novel written by Walter Dean Myers that takes place in Vietnam during the Vietnam War and is told through the eyes of Richie Perry a young African-American soldier. Perry joins the army after his dreams of attending college fall through. He is sent to the front lines where he witnesses the true terrors of war. As his fellow soldiers are being killed around him Perry begins to contemplate why the U.S. is even in Vietnam at all and why the African-American troops are given the hardest assignments. Perry forms a deep bond with his fellow soldiers who are all fighting for their lives and we get to see a type of brotherhood formed between the soldiers as they all have something in common and that's getting out alive.

I enjoyed the battle scenes which were very descriptive and gave a realistic view on the way things were in Vietnam and the relationships formed between the soldiers as they were all fighting to save their own and each others lives. I related this book to the movie Saving Private Ryan because it also touches on the bonds formed between troops when Pvt. Ryan refuses to leave his comrades and friends. Overall I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in realistic war situations as the book depicts what it was like for soldiers in Vietnam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen Angels.