Melissa Frye's Reviews > Revived

Revived by Cat Patrick

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, contemporary, fantasy, sci-fi, ya
Read from June 09 to 10, 2012

After reading a book you walk away with something, good or not. A good novel shows a character change; the changes may be small in comparison to the surrounding actions, but there is a change none-the-less. Revived by Cat Patrick fulfilled both.

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency's true goals, she realizes she's at the center of something much larger — and more sinister — than she ever imagined.

So, what did I walk away with from reading Revived? A sense of kinship with mourners of loved ones. Patrick expertly manipulates emotions. It’s been quite some time since a book has made me shed tears. This one did.

Did the main character change through the course of the story? Definitely. Death held no sense of permanence in her life, because experience showed her it could be defied. Before the end, she realizes how fragile the living form can be.

I really enjoyed reading Revived. It held my attention and surprised me a few times. I found the ease with which Daisy formed a bond with Audrey and Matt to be a stretch, but not totally unbelievable. Despite the emotional response it wrung from me and the intriguing premise, it is not a book that I’ll read again. I recommend it to young adult and science fiction fans. It’s worth reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revived.

06/09/2012 page 137