Michelle's Reviews > Rumors of Savages

Rumors of Savages by Carrie Regan

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, indies
Read from May 24 to 28, 2012

When a famous scientist is lost in the deepest part of an African rain forest, the crew of a reality TV show sets off to find him. The crew is expecting to boost ratings for their declining show, but they are not expecting to put their lives on the line in order to make this happen.

I picked this book up as a freebie via Pixel of Ink because I was intruiged by the blurb. This could have been one of those books that go either way by either being really good or *really* bad. Luckily, it was really good.

One of the things I liked best about this book was the fact that the author knew what she was writing about. According to her web page, the author has not only worked with documentary crews before, she has also traveled extensively. She knows her stuff, and that comes through in the book. When I read this, I felt as though I was really learning something about the continent of Africa and the workings of an overseas film crew. I loved that! This was an author with expertise that I could trust. The only problem I had was that once or twice I did feel as though I was being lectured (about the role of missionaries in foreign countries, or the problems with mining.)

I also really enjoyed the characters. There was a rather large cast, and the book did jump from one place to another, but it was easy to keep each character in my mind because they were all so unique. I got to know each of them, and they all seemed like individuals. The romance (which was not a huge part of the story) worked well for me, as did the motivations of the other crew members. I also really enjoyed reading about the producer who was safe and sound back home in New York City while his crew suffered on location. One thing that I didn't care for, however, was the 'head hopping'. A single chapter could hold as many as six differents POVs, and I don't care for that.

Overall, Rumors of Savages was an excellent book, and I would definitely read more by this author. The story was fun, adventurous, and compelling. I read it in two days, and was sad to see it end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumors of Savages.

05/25/2012 page 75
35.0% "So far, this is a very entertaining book."
05/27/2012 page 150
71.0% "Still a very good read. Fast paced with a lot of interesting characters."