Ashley's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

May 21, 09

bookshelves: personal-favorites, mystery, 2009, favorites
Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** What can I say? I found this book 15 years later than I should have? Probably, though I don't think my 8-year-old self would have appreciated it near as much as I do. I have never actually read Conan Doyle, which I will remedy in the near future, but that has never stopped me from loving Sherlock Holmes as a character in the dozens of ways I've been exposed to him (shamelessly my favorite is probably still the Chip 'n' Dale episode where Chip decides he's the next Sherlock).

Historically accurate in setting, language, and even in style? Check. A strong female heroine who is easy to love? Check. A good fun mystery that includes Moriarty? Check. London? Check. Jerusalem? Check. References to the Hebrew Bible that I could translate before Mary did so for us? Check. Sherlock Holmes? Check.

Really, I knew as soon as I heard about the book I'd love it, I just needed to pull myself out of science fiction and fantasy to return to the genre that got me reading in the first place. But if you'll excuse me, it's late and I have another Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

05/01/2009 page 37
10.69% "I was hooked by page 3. I'm so excited."
05/05/2009 page 85
24.57% "This is going to be one of those books I savor while I look for the rest of the series."
show 1 hidden update…