Suzanne's Reviews > A Raisin in the Sun

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

May 24, 2012

I surprisingly liked A Raisin In the Sun. When I first read the plot and found out what the story was about I thought, "This is going to be boring, I don't like stuff from this era, it just doesn't interest me." But I started to read it and I really got into it. The stage directions really helped me get a better feel for the play, helped me set the stage in my own mind. It really helped me to picture Mama, Beneatha, Ruth, and even Walter, even though he ain't the most pleasant picture in the world. Yeah, Walter isn't exactly my favorite person in the book. He is selfish, cowardly, and greedy. His only redeeming moment is at the very end of the play when he stood up to the white man (Lindner?).

The big reason that I liked the play is because of the drama. Ruth became pregnant, Mama got money but Walter used it for himself instead of thinking of hi family, and they stood up to the white man and moved into an all white neighborhood. I really liked the yelling. I know, it sounds weird, but it helped bring depth to the play by bringing the drama and the emotion. Yeah, I kinda like the yelling in movies and stuff.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes stories about the civil rights era and wants an emotional, yet uplifting book. The only thing that I don't think that anyone and I certainly didn't like is that the story didn't seem to have a conclusion. We don't know what happens after they leave the apartment. What happened to Ruth and the baby? Are they alright in their new neighborhood? So many questions!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Raisin in the Sun.