Stephanie Nikolopoulos's Reviews > The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Arles

The Yellow House by Martin Gayford

May 24, 2012

Read from December 03, 2013 to September 03, 2016

As someone interested in community and collaboration, I loved reading about the time artists Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin spent together in Arles, France, in Martin Gayford's "The Yellow House." The book is a great introduction to the artists' work, personalities, religious beliefs, and families, and inspires me to want to read more in-depth biographies of the artists and to study their artwork more. One of the aspects I enjoyed most, was discovering the unique ways in which van Gogh and Gauguin treated the same subject matter.

I also enjoyed reading Gayford's book as a study on biography. Not bogged down with footnotes, it was accessible and conversational. There were a few times when the author acknowledged he was speculating, and it was done in a fair manner, but mostly the book relies on quotes to further the story. The research mainly relies on letters, and I would've liked a little bit more outside sources and a little more description of Arles. Overall, it's a fascinating portrait of a sliver in these two great artists' lives and a book I will be holding onto and recommending to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yellow House.

12/03/2013 marked as: currently-reading