Andrew Finley's Reviews > A Raisin in the Sun

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

May 24, 2012

liked it

I'm not going to say this book absolutely blew me away, but it was not too terrible either. I like the theme of this book/staged play. I also like the morals and principals that this book is trying to convey. For example, I appreciate how each of the main characters really is ambitious in character. Walter aspires to own his own Liqour Store, Mama wants a big house etc.. So you can see that in the story everyone has a plan. Everyone has a dream one day that they hope will eventually become reality/made true.

One thing I disliked about the book is that I'm really tired of the old theme of blacks struggling to survive in the projects basically. There are countless other incidents where this theme was used as a storyline. This book sort of reminded me of the whole "Good Times" telivision series. And I'm quite sick of this topic.

Maybe in the time frame that this book was written, it would have been nice to read, but times are changing in this day and age and this book is very stereotypical of a poor black family back then. I really wouldn't recommend this book to others. They've heard similar stories before

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Raisin in the Sun.