John Egbert's Reviews > Going Too Far

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

May 25, 12

bookshelves: why-did-i-read-this, le-sigh
Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** If you don't want to be spoiled, run for your life now.

I have to admit to rolling my eyes at least a total of seventeen times while reading this.

To say the least I wasn't impressed.

Five things,

- I love tragic pasts. Cherish them, even. Yes, I know it's a trope. I know it's a cliche often poorly used to make readers sympathize with assholish characters. But if you do a tragic past right, I'll be the first person to swoon. This book just didn't do it right. I felt nothing when Meg gave the big reveal. The book has gotten boring and it continued to BE boring. Which brings me to...

- It was too long. I was waiting for everything to wrap up around halfway through. And the sad part is that the book isn't even THAT long. There just wasn't enough plot, wasn't enough character development.

- Meg is kind of a moron. I mean, yeah, she was kind of funny at times. But overall she was just annoying. Her thing about smoking pot and having sex with the village idiot for the lulz (Eric or something? Brian? I forget) made me want to pick her up by her torso and toss her out a window. The worst part was that she actually seemed a little smart, like she could be if she wanted. But no, she wasn't going to act on that spark of intellect at all. Not even a little bit. And maybe that was the point, but it made me infuriated.

- JOHN. Ugh, I'm sorry. At first he was kind of fun, but when I realized that he was actually going to be a love interest instead of a father figure it pretty much ruined him for me. Then he started acting like a jerk. Truth be told I wish Meg had just gone off to college and ended up single in the end. I'm even ashamed to call him John, because that's MY name. He can be Bill. Not that there's anything wrong with being a Bill. Er. Anyway, the point is that I didn't like him. He was really overbearing, and the last part where he handcuffed Meg and made her go into a panic attack was not cool. I'm sorry, but when you do something knowing it's going to hurt your partner then that's just it, buddy. Meg had no idea going out onto that bridge would hurt John. John knew perfectly well that his actions would hurt Meg. That's not acceptable.

- There wasn't really a character in this book that I cared about. Maybe Meg's friend (Elizabeth? I think?). But really, she wasn't all that great either. I couldn't have cared less if Superman dropped down from the sky and incinerated everyone in their little town (yes, even the children) with his laser vision on the very last page. Well, okay, maybe I'd care a little then, but you get my point.

It wasn't terrible by any means, but it's not something I'd recommend or read again. And I don't think I'll be running to pick up any more of Echols novels either.

(Note: What I was really disappointed with, though, is the misleading title. Meg never goes "too far". That's the reason why I picked up the book! Well, c'est la vie I suppose...)
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Too Far.