Chris's Reviews > Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 11

Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 11 by Joe Brusha

May 24, 12

bookshelves: snow-white, grimm, dragons, netgalley, fantasy-dark, fantasy-fairy-tales-influ
Read on May 24, 2012

Disclaimer: I received an ARC via Netgalley.

I’ve been aware of Grimm Fairy Tales for a few years. I’ve been tempted to pick up a copy and see if it is good. Since being burned by Marvel comics when I was in college, however, I have been very, very wary of reading comics. Despite the fact that the book is published by an Independent publisher, the covers also put me off. There is something about a drawing of woman with breasts bigger than her head that puts me off. I always wonder if she jumped up and down, would she knock herself out?

But I was able to get this ARC for free, and it seemed like a good way to try the series. I should note here that after reading this ARC, I preordered the edition that has 1-50.

So let’s get it out there, the depictions of the female form in this comic are designed to make certain segments of the population very, very happy. Personally, I don’t understand why anyone would walk around Limbo in a throng or fight wearing a corset and hot pants. Of course, there are works geared toward women where the men are equally unrealistic.

But I must say, to me Grimm Fairy Tales is somewhat like Tomb Raider. Now, Tomb Raider in both game and movie was designed, in part, to have sex sell. That, however, did not change the fact that Lara Croft kicked butt. The same is true here. Sex is used, yes, but the female characters stand on their own, save themselves type.

The conceit seems to be that there are various realms or worlds- Earth, Limbo, Myst, Neverland, Wonderland - and these are populated by various fairy tale characters, literary characters, and gods. In this collection, Sela (Snow White) is on a quest to rescue her true love, Prince Erik, from Limbo, so they can then track down their baby. She is added by Druanna (Mother Nature) who seems to be Obi-Wan to Sela’s Luke Skywalker.

I love the fact that Sela has glasses that never, ever seem to get dislodged. I love even more, that she looks to be the chosen one. She is the unique one, not her husband. Not that her husband is a wimp, he’s not, but in the world of Harry Potter and super-power men movies, it’s nice to see a woman take center stage. I also loved the idea of the prince in the glass casket.
Sela and Druanna have to do battle with the inhabitants of Limbo, a place that is ruled by Lady who has a hidden plan, as well dragons and Jack the Giant Killer. The bad guys include a cast of characters where, strangely, Venus is the most conservatively dressed. The bad guys or bad women predominately, are intelligent and worthy adversaries. Additionally, the theme of injustice leading to the dark side or causing someone to become evil forms part of the story, not only in terms of Sela but supporting characters as well. The fact that Sela is a new arrival to the land of Myst, and questions at times the definition of evil is also refreshing. In fact, the back story of Jack the Giant Killer does a far better story of making an evil man into a tragic character than Star Wars I-III. Lucas should’ve hired this team.

What really works is that the creators know their stuff, not only in the terms of the writing but in the art. There is an astonishing level of detail even in the backgrounds of some of the panels.

I really did enjoy this. Truly did despite the artwork, and I am going to get the others in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grimm Fairy Tales Volume 11.