heidi's Reviews > Silver Moon

May 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: wiscon, ebook, reviewed
Read in August, 2012

I love the idea of a story that is about powers manifesting at the transition into crone (in the religious sense). So frequently we read and write about girls turning into women, and with their sexuality, they get to kick ass, but this is cool because it's about becoming powerful at menopause.

Wolf's Point is a syncretic, peaceful, multicultural town in remote mountain valley. Half the town is in on a secret so well-kept that it comes as a complete surprise to Becca. It turns out that the Women Of A Certain Age in town strip naked and turn into wolves to protect their town.

Of course, there are adversaries to repel, a new persona to integrate into, all that jazz. Also, Becca is developing a crush on her neighbor, which is confusing because Becca hadn't thought she was into women.

I thought the premise was fascinating, and I loved the dynamics in how the women related to each other and structured their town and their pack. I also liked the honest discussion of WHY you would keep this secret from someone you suspected would find out on their own.

Sadly, I thought the pacing was not up to the promise of the story. There were too many threads left loose, like what exactly made Oya so crazed with anger, and what Becca is going to do about her crush.

Read if: You are tired of teenage girls getting all the fun. You want to watch all sorts of different women relate to each other.

Skip if: You are looking for a totally immersive book.

Also read: Range of Ghosts, by Elizabeth Bear. Wheel of the Infinite, by Martha Wells.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Moon.