Z A C K's Reviews > The Conscience of a Liberal

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman

Sep 22, 08

Read in July, 2008

Clarity! Thank Heavens, someone is trying to seek the truth!

I recommend this book to understand how it is that Liberalism can actually be The Most Practical position.

Generally, people like to say they're "fiscally conservative." Who wouldn't want to be that -- when the alternative is positioned as "fiscally irresponsible." This book makes a solid step-by-step case for why liberal economic policies actually are "fiscally conservative" in the long run. For that alone, I recommend it.

That said, my only criticism of Krugman -- the one point I found myself asking him again and again as I was reading -- is why he largely ignores the role of entrepreneurism in building the economy, and the connection between entrepreneurism and individual responsibility. That is, Krugman makes the case for shared responsibility (the basis of liberalism), but just sidesteps the importance of individual responsibilty (the basis of political conservativism) in creating an entrepreneurial culture. Maybe I'm wanting something he wasn't offering, but I tended to think on this issue he was talking beside the point.

But again, a hearty recommendation from me for the other 96% of the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conscience of a Liberal.