Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > A Blood Seduction

May 24, 12

Read in May, 2012

Ava's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

3.5 Stars

A Blood Seduction is an interesting start to a new series by Pamela Palmer called Vamp City. It’s a dark tale of abduction and escape in a paranormal plot.

Our story revolves around Quinn Lennox, a scientist from Washington D.C. Quinn and her half-brother Zach get sucked into an alternate world early in the story while searching for a friend who’s gone missing. This alternate world is half parallel “city” and half dystopian version of Washington DC, aptly called VC - Vamp City, which physically represents DC as it was in 1870 mixed with some items and objects of the current city on the other side. This city was designed with magic and sorcery to be a haven for vampire existence, with no sunlight, allowing them freedom from the complications of the other world.

First, I want to say I went into this story anticipating a Paranormal Romance plot. After finishing the book I am certain it should be listed with Urban Fantasy novels. This is not a fault of the story or the book, just something that should be communicated to readers. For me that’s fine, as I enjoy both PR and UF but I know those of you looking for a HEA might feel differently.

Palmer’s writing, both style and quality is wonderful. I descriptions of VC, the inhabitants, architecture and lifestyle was thoroughly detailed. The brutality and politics well thought out and believable. What I struggled with was the characters. They are well developed, and sometimes I was rooting for them. Other times I felt like I couldn’t trust them...which led me to wanting to kick them. Especially so with Arturo, normally I am enamored with the Hero, even the misunderstood ones; because in the end you understand them and their motivations. Arturo’s character managed to piss me off... several times. He’d redeem himself only to go back to being a slug, and I had hoped to end this one liking him rather than not. There is still time for me to get a different opinion of him, but I won’t know until I read the next installment. The story was mesmerizing, and I still want to know what Ms. Palmer has planned for these two characters in Vamp City #2. I was left with mixed feelings on A Blood Seduction, but I believe there is significant potential with the series as a whole.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blood Seduction.