Ellie's Reviews > Colters' Promise

liked it
Read from May 24 to 25, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Colters’ Promise, Colters’ #4, by Maya Banks
Grade: C-

“There was nothing more beautiful than the woman resting against his side, and he’d go to hell and back to make her happy. Always. Every damn day for the rest of his life.”

Colters’ Promise takes us back to Clyde, Colorado and the lives of the Colters. It’s Christmas time and for the first time in years the entire family will be together and changes are happening. We get a great look into the lives of the family that has captivated so many readers. We get to see how things are going in everyone’s day to day lives and how they are coping with heartache, sickness and new beginnings.

Holly is the matriarch of the Colters clan along with her three husbands, Ethan, Adam and Ryan who also happen to be brothers. Holly is still spoiled rotten by her husband's and her children and this year she is determined, with help from Lily, to cook Christmas dinner for the first time ever. We first met this group in Colters’ Woman, book #1, and we get a great glimpse into their lives now thirty plus years later.

Lily is finally starting to settle into her life with her husbands/brothers Dillon, Seth and Michael but an unexpected twist has Lily shaken and shutting out the men who love her. Lily is a very fragile person who has gone through a lot of emotional pain which was introduced in Colters’ Lady. Her husbands would do anything for her and it takes Lily a very long time to accept this and move away from the pain of her former life. The majority of Colters’ Promise focuses on Lily, her men and how they are still dealing with Lily’s past.

Callie is the only daughter of Holly and her husbands and we met her and her husband Max in Colters’ Daughter, which is my favorite book of the series. Max and Callie have a dominant-submissive relationship that they love and enjoy but it is shaken up after Max learns that his baby sister lauren has been abused by her boyfriend. Max and Callie fly to New York and bring Lauren to Clyde to heal with the help of the Colter clan.

I love the Colters and I was very excited to see what was going on in everyone’s lives especially Max and Callie. I have never been a fan of Lily so I was disappointed that the majority of this story focuses on her. I find her very weak, which she herself admits to, and she is just not my type of female that I like to read about. This book is very cute but it repeats itself over and over again to the point where it’s too much. All anyone talks about is how the men of the book protect their women and spoil them rotten over and over again and since the book is so short it seems that is all anyone has to say.

Colters’ Promise is good but it’s not great. I think that is should have been a novella and not a full book as it’s just over two hundred pages and reads like a novella. I’m not sure what I was expecting but I got too much Lily and not enough of the rest of the Colters that I really enjoy. I hope this isn’t the end of this series but I do hope the next book focuses on the rest of the characters or Max’s sister lauren. I love maya Banks and the Colters but this book just didn’t work for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colters' Promise.