Schmacko's Reviews > Agent 6

Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith

May 24, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

Tom Rob Smith’s newest book strays away from the darkness – the Stalinist paranoia – that made his first, Child 44, so good. Instead, this is a more meandering international thriller that brings Russia and Smith’s Russian hero Leo Demidov into modern times. Because the sickness of the serial killer is absent, this is a little less thrilling. The threats of the KGB are also weaker. Think slightly watered down John Le Carre.

Leo and his wife Raisa are raising their two daughters when a unique opportunity is offered the family. Raisa and the girls are invited to go to New York City to sing a peace-offering concert. In the US, tragedy strikes the family, and Demidov spends the next 3 decades trying to find answers and exact revenge.

This means the book wanders through most of the Cold War, focusing a large portion on Russia’s war with Afghanistan. It’s politically interesting, but this long section loses the drive of Leo’s quest. It takes a long time to fit all these pieces together, and even then, the novel feels a little disjointed and lacking in drive.

Still, Smith writes fascinating stuff – if a little undirected. His grasp of Stalinist Russia and world history is fascinating. It’s just a little undirected. Also, I like when Smith claims the darkness; this one was more in line with other writers who, I just feel, have done more distinct and driven work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agent 6.

Gwen My feelings exactly.

Gwen My feelings exactly.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony Nice review. Don't think I need to read this chapter in the series. Thanks.