Laurie's Reviews > Memo to the President Elect LP: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership

Memo to the President Elect LP by Madeleine Albright

Sep 30, 08

Read in September, 2008

Madeline Albright has a lot of advice to offer in this book. Advice mostly regarding diplomacy, an area she knows best. However, aside from the personal anecdotes and insights into the intimate lives of politicos, the book is very disappointing, boring even. And this advice? Well, suffice it to say that I could have written this book. Most of what she writes is common sense. In a nutshell: don't pick fights, be politically correct, surround yourself with good, capable people, and don't do anything Bush did (that's Junior). Even though she makes apologies for the Bush slamming to come in her preface, it still detracts from the validity of her opinions. So no one really likes Bush or many of his decisions, but the book is supposed to bring promise to new candidates, not continually reference what not to do, or who not to emulate. For God's sake, hasn't the last eight years taught every American what not to do? All in all, it was stale and dry and contained so much of what I like to call the "Duh Factor" that its 300 or so very long pages left me feeling as though I knew little more than I knew when I opened the book for the first time. Except, of course, in learning how to stay awake while reading a very boring book on a quiet rocking commuter train.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memo to the President Elect LP.