Joanna's Reviews > Junie B. Jones Is a Beauty Shop Guy

9205243
May 31, 12

bookshelves: annotated-bibliography, 2012
Read from May 24 to 31, 2012

This was the first Junie B Jones book I’ve read, and I laughed aloud many times. Junie B is hilarious, and I love that students can easily relate to this book. The voice that the author writes in makes it so easy to think like Junie B and to imagine the crazy scenarios she is encountering. I especially like that Junie B has phrases that are repeated throughout the book. The one that stood out the most as I read was “Only, too bad for me…”

I’m interested to know how teachers use this book, on account of the fact that the grammar isn’t correct, almost throughout the entire book. On one hand writing this way helps the author create a child-like voice, but on the other hand the incorrect grammar could create misconceptions among students about the correct way to use tenses.

On the whole I would definitely use this in my classroom. Children find the books hilarious, and it’s essential to make the most of any books that engage children in reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junie B. Jones Is a Beauty Shop Guy.