Tiffany's Reviews > The Savage Fortress

May 24, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s-books
Read on May 24, 2012

Ash and his sister, Lucky, are visiting their aunt and uncle in India when his uncle is invited to the Savage Fortress of Sir Alexander Savage. While at the party, Ash finds an unusual weapons room, but knowing that Savage is a collector of artifacts, he doesn't think much of it, until he overhears Savage offering his uncle a job with translating an ancient text with an outrageous payout. From there, Ash becomes very suspicious of Savage, and his suspicions are proven correct when a walk after a family picnic turns up an ancient arrowhead that Savage is willing to kill for. Now, Ash must learn to and protect his sister, or stand by as the world ends.

Obviously, Chadda wants to do the same for Indian mythology that Rick Riordan did for Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology. However, the effect isn't as masterful. While I liked the book and thought that it did hook a reader's interest, some parts are absolutely gruesome. In one big fight, a demon is slain and it states that he tried to breath, but his lungs were no longer in him-the other fighter just plowed right through him. It's brutal. So this is not a book for sensitive children and I would only recommend this to fifth grade and up. I'm glad that someone is writing a book about the Indian culture and mythology, so if the fight scenes are most intense and less grotesque, this would be a book I could actually get behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Savage Fortress.