Heather's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: suspense, womens-fiction
Read from May 24 to 26, 2012

This story reminded me a bit of a Maeve Binchy novel--albeit American version--where the author takes her time to ground us into the world of Mill River. The plot was very interesting, although about half-way through the book I was skimming the scenes with Mary in. She isn't the typical main character that grows and overcomes great obstacles in a story, but she is a survivor, although she really just endures and wishes she could overcome her challenges. She does have her triumphs, but there are never really moments of "hooray for Mary."

I was much more interested in Claudia. She had a great character, although her character depth seemed to only touch the surface.

Overall, some great suspense and a nice cast of characters that make up a small town. Again, Maeve Binchy style, where there are multiple view points in order to create the bigger picture of a town, everyone is interconnected, and the author takes her time bringing it all together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.