Carre Gardner's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

May 24, 12

I avoided this book for a long time because it was such a bandwagon in the Christian camp and...well, my experience with Christian literature has been about 98% disappointing. Plus, the subtitle put me off: "A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are." Who wants another dare to live fully? I'm living so fully right now that I hardly have time to sit down and read the paper. The last thing I need (I told myself) is another Christian author telling me that I need to add or subtract something in order to improve my already-pretty-great life. I sort of pre-emptively hated this book before I ever even saw it.

And then a friend sent me a copy. And...well, a free book, right? How often does that happen in life? So I opened it. And right away, it was like nothing else I'd ever read.

Ann Voskamp writes like a dance. And there is a profoundness to her message that I haven't read outside of...Matthew Henry. Oswald Chambers. C.S. Lewis. I would absolutely put her in that category. I love her brokenness and her messiness, and her intelligence and her eye for beauty. Especially, I love her writing.

In my opinion, the PR Genius who made up the subtitle gets a "fail." This book is not about how to live more fully right where you are. It's about gratitude and brokenness and falling back in love with God. Five stars. No: ten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.