Kathrynn's Reviews > Surrender

Surrender by Pamela Clare

Nov 18, 08

bookshelves: own, romance-historical, 2008, favorites, hot, theme-colonial_frontier, reviewed, theme-hero_heartthrob
Read in November, 2008

"Wee German princeling" I had to laugh at this every time it was said. What a neat adventure book set in the colonial frontier, 1757. Lady Anne was betrayed by her sick and twisted uncle and sold as an indentured servant to the colonies. Iain MacKinnon (rival Scottish clan) rescued her and the sparks began to simmer.

At first, I didn't care for "Annie" and even Iain "almost" blew it, but these two bloomed with the story and it developed into a wonderful rose in the end. Beautiful tale of love, courage, and survival. Iain had several, "ah" moments and I can't wait for the next one in this series.

Iain was forced into forming a ban Rangers by Major William Wentworth, AKA: the King's Grandson. Wentworth was a shrewd manipulator of people and there were times when he was...not all bad. I wonder if he will get his story one day... Laughed at Iain and his Rangers' antics with the British. Cried at the end.

Loved how the author inserted July 4th into the story, but I wish she would not recap events. (sigh) There were a couple annoying flashforwards, but not as many as in the Kenleigh series. Wew!

Another favorite for This Reader. Normally, with those annoyances I do not give 5 stars or place in favorites, but this was WONDERFUL and I know, (know, know!) I will re-read this one day. The story was THAT good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.

11/16/2008 page 76
11/16/2008 page 165
46.48% "Another good one!" 1 comment
11/18/2008 page 253
71.27% "Major Wentworth sure likes to manipulate people..."
11/18/2008 page 355
100.0% "Absolutely wonderful! Review coming."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Auntee I'm always interested in books that make you cry...:)

Kathrynn I think you will enjoy this one, Auntee. Hope you get a chance to read it soon. The second one in this series, "Untamed" just go released and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Do you know of any other historicals set on the Colonial or American Frontier? I really liked this theme.

message 3: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Wow Kathrynn, this book really did look good. You certainly sold me! Great review:)

Auntee Kathrynn, just picked this one up today. I'm going to start with one of the Pamela Clares next. Haven't decided which series yet though.

It seems to me I've read some historicals set in Colonial or Frontier times. I remember reading the Kent Family Chronicles a long time ago and enjoying it, and also the book "Centennial" by James Michtner(sp?), but I'll have to think about romances. Seems that Linda Lael Miller must have written a few, especially about the American frontier, but let me think about it...