Martin's Reviews > A Journal of the Plague Year

A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe

220880
May 24, 2012

Thoroughly fascinating account of the 1665 London Plague, if you like that sort of thing! The actions and reactions of the general public are the main feature of this telling of the famous 'visitation', they constantly amazed and surprised me. From running naked, screaming, through the city until dropping dead, to burning themselves to death in their beds; the pain delivered by the plague must be unbelievable.

A rare snapshot of a city in crises written by one who stayed there all the while. The language is quite obviously dated and can be rather verbose and long winded, but it all adds to the atmosphere of the time, I say, due to the age in which the book was written it seems dated by today's standards.

I'm glad I live in an age of morphine-based pain-killers!

I also believe that the modern idea of zombies comes from people with the plague, they were called the walking dead for a start, but also, infected people would actively and willingly go about healthy people with the aim of infecting them, very zombie-like behaviour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Journal of the Plague Year.