Lori Anderson's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

Oct 01, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in October, 2008

***** SPOILER ALERT -- IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK, GO NO FURTHER! ******

"A Tale of Two Cities" is one of those books that a lot of people THINK they've read, but never have, because it has an ending that nearly everyone knows -- one man trades his life for another under the guillitine. I knew how it ended, but also knew I'd never read the book, and felt it was high time to get on with it.

There's a lot more to it than just swapping Man A with Man B. There's intrigue, plot twists, lots of history, and suspense. There were times I had to read passages and even entire chapters over again due to the way English was written back in Dicken's time, but it was well worth it. The edition I had also had a lot of end notes so I was flipping from front of book to back often, learning just WHY what I'd read was significant. Those notes made the book more interesting (even though I hated the flipping and inevitably losing my place).

I've never read a single thing Dickens has ever written, and this was a great one to start with. The hard part now is choosing which book to pick next!

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Lori Anderson:The Blog
Facebook
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toni (new)

Toni berkshire Liked your review. It seemed like a very fair evaluation and now feel tempted to read it myself!