Beanbag Love's Reviews > Under Fire

Under Fire by Catherine Mann

May 26, 12

Read from May 23 to 26, 2012

Between two and three.

This book starts out well. Liam's infatuation with Rachel was introduced in the last book of the series: Hot Zone. They're good characters with interesting backgrounds. Dogs are involved, so that's always a plus.

The problem is with the story. The setup is great. I was all in. By half-way through I felt like we were in a rut with padded inner monologues and little progress on contrived obstacles.

Romantic suspense often has a frustrating section like this. From about 50% to 75% we're just bogged down. (No pun intended if you've read the book) And the secondary romance didn't help matters. This was a couple that could have used their own book, but were given a substantial amount of time in this one. It undercut Liam and Rachel's story quite a bit while leaving that featured story line somewhat dissatisfying.

And then, what happens around 76% is so absurd, so unintentionally hilarious, the entire book can't be taken seriously. Which is fine, I suppose, because the mission itself becomes vague and ill defined after that.

I wanted more for these characters because I think their chemistry worked and they had a potentially interesting future in front of them. That issue was dropped completely in favor of just doing the same thing as before and hoping for different results.

I like Catherine Mann and I think she's above average as an author of RS. This is the third in Mann's "Elite Force" series and I did really like the first two. I will read the next one because I like the characters, but if it goes off the rails as this one did, I may drop the whole thing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Bean!

Beanbag Love Thanks, Scully!

message 3: by Buggy (last edited Jun 17, 2012 11:25PM) (new)

Buggy Hey Beanbag, I'm not sure if I talked to you about this before or not but I've found that CM's stories in general always start out great, get you all excited about the story and then fall apart.
This is what I said in my review of Fully Engaged (Wingmen Warriors, #12)

I’ve come to the conclusion with Catherine Mann (in particular with her Wingman Warrior series) that while she writes really excellent opening chapters for some reason the rest of the book tends to fall into very forgettable mediocre-ville.

Too bad that this series has gone the same way I couldn't even get through the first one, now I won't bother continuing.